Roirin
Raven
Character name: Roirin

[Social] Roirin the Fury Warrior

Post by Roirin » 16 Dec 2018, 15:26

Who is your character?
Roirin the Fury Warrior.

Who are you?
Richard from the Low Lands, also known as the Netherlands or Holland. Living in Amsterdam. 31 years old.

About you
I am applying as a casual member. Until the first week of Februari in 2019 I cannot commit to any raiding roster. But when I finally finish my studies, defending my thesis in the first week of Februari and I suddenly have all the time in the world I would like to apply to one of your raid teams. But to be able to do so in Februari, I have to start preparing a bit and find a group of nice people to do that with. The fact that your guild has been around so long shows that there still is room for solid online communities, something that I search for in these toxic, anonymous days of World of Warcraft when playing not in an active guild / playing solo most of the time.

Experience TL;DR:
I have been playing a fury/arms warrior since the end of Cata. I tanked occasionally but most of the time there were better tanks around. During the years I learned not to stand in fire too much, key-binded my interrupt, stay away from the tail of dragons and try to stand behind bosses while smashing four buttons at the same time - praying to stay enraged in game and not too much irl. I always wanted to play on a high level in game but never had the time until now.

Experience in a long, almost endless wall of nostalgic text:
I started playing World of Warcraft during the final months of Vanilla. On a night elf druid I mostly just ran around the enormous world that Blizzard had to offer. I did not have a clue how the game really worked but I enjoyed it a lot. Just before TBC came out I levelled a human warlock that got max level just before TBC came around. I did complete the Dreadsteed of Xoroth warlock quest back then, which was cool. During TBC I joined a guild and started to raid a bit in a casual guild that was more about fun than about raiding itself. I don't think we ever got past the Curator and I didn't use any addons that could provide me information how to increase any form of dps. We did manage to kill Gruul (which gave me my first ever tier-shoulders, which was a massive accomplishment in my eyes back then), most of TK and some bits of SSC. Due to starting an ambitious study I quit the game during all of WotLK (something I regret a lot) and most of Cataclysm (which I regret a bit less). I came back to the game levelling an orc warrior on which I killed Deathwing in the same casual manner as I did during TBC. When MoP launched I decided I wanted to raid a bit more so I joined Fortune Cookie on Defias Brotherhood which were a bunch of experienced raiders that no longer wanted to commit to hardcore raiding rosters (I think I got accepted because they really needed someone and couldn't find anything better than me). We cleared Throne of Thunder and the Siege of Orgrimmar (where I got my first ahead of the curve achievements, both on normal). I can't recall how much or even if we progressed heroic, but I think we never got past that 3rd(?) boss with that maze-that-kills-you-thing. I did notice that there was a massive difference between the player I was and used to play with, and players that understand the game, their classes and started having fun with min-maxing my character. During this period, which also was very time-limited for me due to that annoying ambitious studies I chose to pursue, I managed to complete the challenge-modes which for me was some sort of mythic-raiding-accomplishement. Since I did not have the free time to raid on a high level, doing CM's and getting to endless waves in proving grounds gave me some sort of difficulty-level I enjoyed ingame. I do not have the data anymore on wowprogress, but I had the highest amount of waves in the proving grounds as a warrior on the server. I was proud of that. But I also know that most people weren't bothered to do it that much so it isn't worth that much. But for me, with my time limitations, it made me feel cool. (Which is sad, I know).

Then WoD came out and I got a bit more free time (still with that stupid annoying ambitious studies tho..) I decided I wanted to do some mythic raiding. I went from orc to human over night and joined an amazing guild called Raven Knights on Earthen Ring. I couldn't really join the guild since I still was on Defias Brotherhood, but I was part of their raid team. Because I had more time to play the game, I think I am one of the few that actually enjoyed WoD. But I am not sure if that is because of the fact that I finally could play the game more or because of the quality of that expansion.
With Raven Knights we cleared Hellfire Citadel on heroic and pushed for 10/13 of the mythic bosses. This was my first real experience within a raiding roster with people that really knew what they were doing and I was really happy with that bunch of people. There was a healthy competition between the melee-dps which was a lot of fun. During this period I learned not to stand in fire too much and got my interrupting game on fleek (as people seem to say these days?).

Sadly, when Legion launched I had to start facing that dark cloud of annoyingly ambitious studying. So I skipped the whole expansion. Now BFA came around, and I am finally graduating at the start of Februari. I bought the expansion a couple of weeks ago and again, since I have a bit more time on hands now, against what most people seem to say on the interwebs, I really enjoy the content Blizzard created with BFA.

Raid Role
There is no current raid team. Back when there still was one, I was just there to follow orders while knowing all the ins and outs of the fight we were progressing on that I collected on the internets, mostly wowhead and youtube (fatboss). Between the melee-dps we would discuss how to handle most stuff while keeping a high dps-uptime. Between the warriors I would compare logs to see the difference in amount of raging-blows for example or to find when to use CD's.

Your Spec
I play fury. So:

Enrage. Stay enraged. Pray to be enraged. Smash Raging Blow while enraged. No longer enraged? Smash Rampage. Full rage bar? Smash Rampage. Are we enraged? No? BLOODTHIRST. MANY PEOPLE. WHIRLWIND. WHIRLWIND. EAT THAT. RAMPAGE. EVERYBODY RAMPAGE. RAGING BLOW. WHIRLWIND. RAGING BLOW FOR EVERYONE. ENRAGED AGAIN. YES. BLADESTORM. EAT MY BLADES. YES. DEATH. DEATH ALL AROUND. FIRE. FIRE. MOVE. PANIC. FIRE. DYING. PANIC. WHY IS FIRE EVERYWHERE? ENRAGED REGENERATION. TWO BLOODTHIRSTS. NO PROBLEMO BOYS. ROIRIN LIVES TO DIE ANOTHER DAY. ROIRIN SMASHES FACE STILL. And then it starts all over again.

On a serious note. I still have to learn how simming works but without that I tend to talk with other warriors and use wowhead as a reference what stats work best until diminishing returns kick in. Same goes for consumables and talents.

Off-specs and Alternative characters
None that have been levelled to 120. But I do have a lvl 100ish Brewmaster Monk that is still being levelled and a lvl 100ish Balance Druid that doesn't talk to me any longer since I haven't logged into her for months. If the raid team needs a reroll I wouldn't mind, although most of my endgame experience is as melee. So that would be the most comfortable switch if one would be necessary. I have not raided on any of those other characters.

Communication
I have a microphone and I think this is mandatory during raids and gezellig outside raids. There is no English translation for gezellig I think, but cozy-social-friendly would be a decent description of the word gezellig. I like using these forums you offer, especially to discuss with fellow melee-dps. Checking it on a regular basis seems mandatory as well, if one decides to be part of a (raiding) community.
Battle-tag: Roirin#21831

Combat Logs
No relevant logs available, but these can be offered when I get back to raiding a bit in BFA. I tend to stay far, far, far away from LFR. My ilvl at the moment is 340ish. As said, I just got back trying to relearn the game.

Your UI
non combat.jpg
UI while doing nothing.
combat.jpg
UI while smashing faces.
This is the total UI-package Preach made for everyone to use. Necessary information for smashing buttons to do damage in the middle of the screen, while keeping a lot of the view clear to see fire in which I try not to stand.

Guild History
Vanilla: Cantonium Elites on Aszune, Sennais (human warlock)
TBC: Cantonium Elites on Aszune, Sennais (human warlock)
WotLK: -
Cata: Fortune Cookie on Defias Brotherhood, Roirin (orc warrior) (I think)
MoP: Fortune Cookie on Defias Brotherhood, Roirin (orc warrior)
WoD: Raven Knights on Earthern Ring, Roirin (human warrior)
BFA: Lordearon on Defias Brotherhood, Roirin (human warrior)

My current guild is a bunch of friendly people but where only one or two log in on a regular basis with whom I chat a bit but there is no raid roster. I only joined to have some fun and talk to people while levelling.

Raid availability
We will have to see about that in Februari, but as it looks now, as long as you guys don't plan to raid in the morning on weekdays, I am very flexible at night. (I tend to make jokes about that last sentence. But I will hold those back until I feel that they would be accepted.)

References
I found someone spamming the /2 while I was selling gems in the Auction House of Stormwind that you guys are looking for people while I was looking around for a guild that would fit my needs. Most of the people I used to play with are somewhat inactive nowadays. But perhaps Jeroen and/or Saradir of Raven Knights on Earthern Ring could say stuff about me. They were the raidleader of our raid team back in WoD. But they seem to play Diablo more nowadays than actually logging into World of Warcraft

Jingles
Councillor
Character name: Jingles

Re: [Social] Roirin the Fury Warrior

Post by Jingles » 16 Dec 2018, 21:31

Thanks for your application!
Please give us some time to review it 8)

Jingles
Councillor

Post by Jingles » 17 Dec 2018, 17:01

Hi Roirin!

I'm happy to announce your application has been accepted. Contact an officer in game for an invite.

Fahranya
Councillor
raid leader
Character name: Fahranya
Specialization: raid leader

Post by Fahranya » 18 Dec 2018, 15:09

Hi, Roirin.

I managed to overlook this thread, but was informed that you are actually intersted in raiding after finishing your thesis. (Good priorities)

Right now there's only one raid group alive. The Raid Group Formerly Known As RG2. Or TRGFKARG2 for short. ;)
We could definetly be interested in an eventual trial. Give me a poke ingame and we'll talk a bit.

Fah

Jingles
Councillor

Post by Jingles » 18 Dec 2018, 17:21

<recruited>