[Raider] The man of many faces!

A safe place for closed application.
Meltor
Raven
Character name:

[Raider] The man of many faces!

Post by Meltor » 20 Oct 2014, 01:09

Hello everyone! You may be questioning why the title did not include a character name, spec etc as requested; this application will be a tad unusual so bear with me, it shall all become clear.

Who is your character?

This is, the main question! I have had an extended break from WoW in order to complete my university education; now this is complete, and I am settled back into a reliable routine, I wish to return to raiding. I have always been willing to play whatever is required of me at the time, and I therefore have every class on defias at level 85+, most at 90. There are very few specs and classes which I do not enjoy playing, which are the exception to this.

To simplify this section, my class preferences are Paladin (ret), Rogue, or Shaman (Ele or Enha). Any other classes/specs I am willing to consider, with the exception of Druid, Healing Priest, Healing Monk, or Warrior.

Who are you?

My name is Ryan, I am 24 and live in the UK.

Experience

I have played WoW for a very long time; I was here before the weather! Again, I will try to simplify this section in order to keep it as short as possible.

Classic:

MC, BWL, ZG, AQ20 clear. A few bosses in AQ40, but not far. Nothing done in naxx. At this point I was playing a "retribution" paladin with holy shock. Good times.

TBC:

All content cleared during current patches. Switched to shaman during t5 due to a severe lack of alliance shamans during this time.

Wrath:

Everything cleared during current content, with the exception of Yogg25 (zero keepers), and LK25HC (though we did manage it on 10 man). Played paladin almost exclusively during this expansion.

Catalcysm:

T11- 7 Heroic cleared with a guild of close friends for the previous expansions. 6/7 in Firelands. (Warrior tank for these two tiers). Unfortunately, many of these players chose to end their time on WoW during dragon soul, and the remaining players went their separate ways. Dragon soul cleared on heroic, the week after the spine nerf. (Warrior DPS).

MoP:

Server first kills on Emperor, Sha, and Empress. 4 bosses in to ToT heroic (Priest), and this was the time that my university lifestyle become too interesting to maintain a hardcore raiding style. After my recent return, I have done a couple of siege runs, and after the pre patch have experienced 9 on mythic.

Raid Role

I have always felt happiest as a DPS. I very much enjoy the process of getting every bit of DPS possible from my class, especially during a progression environment. My preparation involves a good bit of research, but, I have always felt the need to but my own ideas into practice. Often this is considered unconventional, and occasionally I am given the standard "Why not take X talent/spec and do X more DPS". These are conversations I enjoy and a heated debate with another knowledgeable player is always welcome, and often leads to even further refinement in the theory.

Talent Choices

Due to my earlier statements regarding both my variety of classes and my lack of experience in siege, I hope you won't count it against me if I gloss over this section for now. If this is an issue I am more than willing to have an in depth discussion on the subject!

Off Spec's and Alternative Characters

Again, as mentioned earlier, I have a large variety of characters that I enjoy; with only a few exceptions. I'll list my preferred characters here.

Effy - Paladin - Retribution.
Felicíty - Deathknight - Frost/Blood
Dokei - Shaman - Elemental/Resto (But also willing to play enhancement).
Thepassion - Rogue - "DPS" (Forgive the name, I was not sober when I made the character and unfortunately I have not been reported enough yet for a free name change!)
Gladstone - Priest - Shadow.

Communication

Indeed, I do have a microphone and access to the majority of voice communications. Im very used to using the forums to discuss a variety of things, tactic related or otherwise!

Logs

Due to my over a year absence, I do not believe there are any logs available- However, my Deathknight was in a semi-Pug on the 19th of October with a few of your members, and although I was extremely rusty, and had zero previous experience on the encounters, I feel it was improving rapidly, and was able to compete with the chaps with much stronger gear.

My UI

A work in progress still, after a reinstall. Currently, the main addons in use are Tidyplates (I just cant live without it), DBM and recount, and an aura addon to track Procs/Trinkets etc. The "standard" blizzard UI has never been a problem for me; after years of playing with it, any change would likely be more counter productive. I am happy to provide you with some screenshots if you'd like, but it is all very standard, and as mentioned, still a work in progress.

Guild History

For simplicity, I'll start from cataclysm.
Severity - Horde - Defias Brotherhood. A guild of my own creation, formed with many buds from a variety of previous expansions. A very pleasant time that I remember fondly, but unfortunately mid way through Dragon Soul, people all had to go their own way away from WoW. As a guild that was formed around friendships rather than raiding, without the players, that was the end.

Revelations - Alliance - Defias Brotherhood. Moved to Revelations to join one of my oldest RL friends in the raiding. Unfortunately, the guild disbanded at the end of the tier, and so we both moved on to Kingsfall.

Kingsfall - Alliance - Defias Brotherhood. Moved here from Revelations at the end of cataclysm with my bud, to keep the raiding times going. Many good times were had, but the raiding was very dense. We cleared Sha heroic in T14 with only a week to spare, and leapt straight into ToT. Unfortunately, a combination of two main factors lead me away. One, after certain key players left, I was "forced" into one of my least favourite specs in the game, Discipline priest. Short term, this would have been fine; I had healed many encounters prior, but a lack of successful recruits made this position permanent. Additionally, my housemates at the time, and my university commitments made a 5 day raiding week impossible to maintain. As soon as another priest was able to join, I chose the moment to take my leave.

Raid Availability

All of the raid times are ideal for me!

References

I noticed the guild after repeated good experiences dealing with TRC members. I don't believe there are many members who could vouch for me as a person or player, however.

About Me

I think most people would think of me as a very friendly person. I'm always willing to go out of my way to help a fellow being in need, be it human or animal. Gaming is definitely my favourite hobby, as my lengthy history on WoW shows. Im very against all the aggression and hatred in the world, especially on the internet, so it is very important to me to find a guild with a community that doesnt hurl abuse at one another at the smallest provocation! If I had a motto, it would be "Why can't we all just get along?"

Misc

Im aware that with such a long break from my last raiding time, and lack of any evidence from SOO, that my chances are quite slim, but my post-university employment search taught me that its always worth having a go. I don't think theres much more to add. Its getting a tad late and I'll spare you all any more reading. If there are any questions, feel free to contact me in game, or drop a post here; Ill keep an eye out. Im usually on my paladin "Effy" trying to complete loremaster- though the amount of bugs in the last patch are making this very difficult!

Thanks to those who managed to read to the end, and I hope to hear from you soon!
Last edited by Meltor on 20 Oct 2014, 16:26, edited 2 times in total.

Acclemator
Raven
Character name:

Re: [Raider] The man of many faces!

Post by Acclemator » 20 Oct 2014, 02:24

Hey there Ryan,

I'm not an Officer or anything but I'll still go ahead and write this down.

Your application looks nice, I can see you spent some time writing things down carefully. I personally like seeing people who are content with playing more than one class (Something I'm rather bad at) although I would've liked to see you spent a bit more time on writing down the specific role and talent choices for those classes so that on our end we have a better understanding of your knowledge.

Your history looks good, your personality fits with our guild and if I had known you for a long period of time I'd most likely vouch for you.

Meltor
Raven
Character name:

Post by Meltor » 20 Oct 2014, 02:42

Thanks for your swift reply, and kind words Acclemator,

Ill try and clear up your point around my role/talent choice information (or lack of it), as I'm sure you are not the only one who will read this and have those concerns. The simple fact is, that with regards to siege of Orgrimmar, that in my knowledge is wildly out of date. The last PuG I was part of, I was completely winging the encounters, using only the dungeon journal (and a youtube video of garrosh, As I was warned that I could wipe the raid alone with ignorance).

With the sweeping changes brought in with WoD to many classes, and the fact that I have been back on WoW for a month, the only class I have researched in depth is the paladin; and even this has changed since I started looking. Indeed, with so many choices to take for the upcoming expansion, I have been discovering the classes for myself, and preparing for the upcoming expansion, as there doesn't seem to be much point to me trying to gear up and theorise for Siege of Org raiding.

Don't take this as a lack of effort on my part. For example, when I was asked to roll a shadow priest for Kingsfall, I had never played the spec previously; the character was converted from a poorly geared Disc Priest that I played with friends. I put in the time to fully explore the class and its potential, and was ranked very respectably for tier 11 content, earning my raid spot against the other trials by merit and performance. This would be the case for any class that I would take as my main, and with so many years playing the game, many of the mechanical aspects are second nature.

My desire to join a respectable guild and community outweighs any love that I have for a singular class (as I'll probably take the paladin as an alt in any case), and as such, if accepted, the direction that I take with my character research and development is a choice that is not just up to me, but a mixture of the classes and specs I enjoy, and what would make the best fit into what is already a strong and established raiding roster.

Beastaly
Ancient
Character name: Beastaly
WoW character race: Blood Elf
WoW character class: Death Knight

Post by Beastaly » 20 Oct 2014, 15:23

Hello man of many faces!
Thank you for your application, give us some time to review it and we'll get back to you ASAP :)

~~Beast

Meltor
Raven
Character name:

Post by Meltor » 20 Oct 2014, 16:24

Thanks for the reply Beastaly, there is no rush, though an answer either way before WoD would be appreciated. If there is anything further you wish to know about me as a person or a player, I am happy to have a chat either in game or with voice; either drop me a post here or send me a message in game!

Kind regards,

Ryan.

Beastaly
Ancient
Character name: Beastaly
WoW character race: Blood Elf
WoW character class: Death Knight

Post by Beastaly » 20 Oct 2014, 17:02

We won't take that long, usually within a few days you should get an answer! We have to translate the application into gnomish for our gnomes so they also understand what the scribblings mean.

We'll most likely invite you for a chat on mumble to clarify a few things mentioned in your application. But more news about that soon™.

~Beast

Meltor
Raven
Character name:

Post by Meltor » 21 Oct 2014, 01:45

Sounds good to me, I'll be looking forward to our upcoming chat!

Bowick
Ancient
Character name: Bowick
WoW character race: Pandaren
WoW character class: Monk

Post by Bowick » 23 Oct 2014, 10:31

Heya,
Could you post or PM your battle tag please? Easier to co-ordinate then! :)
Alts: Lacky, Cadwick, Bordello, Filch, Asmo, Tchai

Meltor
Raven
Character name:

Post by Meltor » 23 Oct 2014, 17:20

Sent my contact details to Bowick via PM; though I plan to be online all evening if you want to contact one of my characters in-game!

Bowick
Ancient
Character name: Bowick
WoW character race: Pandaren
WoW character class: Monk

Post by Bowick » 24 Oct 2014, 00:29

<Recruited>
Alts: Lacky, Cadwick, Bordello, Filch, Asmo, Tchai