33 dead in Virginia Tech shooting

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Spectral
Councillor
Character name:

33 dead in Virginia Tech shooting

Post by Spectral » 17 Apr 2007, 15:07

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... v=hcmodule

This again :(
I hope you don't know anyone who goes there.

This'll definatly revive the whole easy-to-get-guns debate, and with some luck they'll do something about it this time.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 17 Apr 2007, 18:40

Sad thing is that there already has been criticism against the gun policy on the campus (no guns allowed) that the students couldn't defend themselves.

Completely oblivious.

Rhaena
Ancient
Character name: Rhaena

Post by Rhaena » 18 Apr 2007, 13:57

I've got a friend who lives in Roanoke. She's still in shock - 32 kids her age in the college in the next town along just lost their lives. It's hard to understand what's running through her head, let alone the friends and families of those killed.

My thoughts are with everyone affected.

The utter shitness of some human beings astounds me.

The one small plus is that that cnut has removed himself from the gene-pool. One day I hope to meet him in Hell, and if I do I'm gonna butt-rape him with a rusty harpoon.

Spectral
Councillor
Character name:

Post by Spectral » 19 Apr 2007, 02:31

khila wrote:Sad thing is that there already has been criticism against the gun policy on the campus (no guns allowed) ...

That's a good thing. This was a freak accident, and he could've gotten a gun from anywhere. I'm pretty sure that a university of 25k people filled with guns, would reach 33 homicides in quite a short time.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 19 Apr 2007, 08:32

Sad thing is that the gun lobbyists grab even this incident as a proof that people should carry guns so they could protect themselves from maniacs with guns. Hope you understood me correctly there. :P

Funny thing is that these things are not done by established criminals who can get guns anyway (legally or illegally), but by common citizens who have no criminal record and just go postal. If only the loon next door couldn't get a gun that easily, I'd feel a lot safer in the US. Too many screwed up people.

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 23 Apr 2007, 13:08

Its a hard one, it is true that even if one of those 32 had a gun. they could have averted many of the deaths. but and there is always a but.

like spec said, if they mostly had guns and started shooting up the place, people would not know who the 'bad guy' is,

example;
bad guy starts shooting,
good guy shoots back,
random good guy sees good guy shooting and assumes hes the bad guy so shoots him. etc

its why the police have extensive training.

Personally im not sure what im in favour of, guns or no guns. apparantly joe public thwarts many wouldbe robberies etc when they intervene with their firearms. but on the flip side how many similarly die trying to do the same thing.

but there is one fact, noone tries to rob the gun stores :)

oh and my final thought, if some mad guy wanted to kill someone, they dont need a gun, they could use a knife, crossbow or any other completely legal implement. The danger is the guy him/herself not the weapon of choice.

ach, ambivalence