Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers Alert)

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers Alert)

Post by Zarhan » 10 Mar 2012, 00:14

Just got mine today. Have been playing for 3-4 hours now - just got to the part where you actually can choose what to do on Normandy. Anyway, I like the thing - I'm still not quite sure how the gathering of resources is supposed to work since they have apparently abandoned both the driving sections and planet probing, but at least the plot portions are great.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Re: Mass Effect 3

Post by Alikh » 10 Mar 2012, 14:28

Zarhan wrote:Just got mine today. Have been playing for 3-4 hours now - just got to the part where you actually can choose what to do on Normandy. Anyway, I like the thing - I'm still not quite sure how the gathering of resources is supposed to work since they have apparently abandoned both the driving sections and planet probing, but at least the plot portions are great.
Haven't bought it yet, just played the demo, but as I understood it, the resource gathering is gone completely. You also get a choice at the start whether you're into action, RP or story. You should definitely pick RP, as that includes all the game elements whereas the others remove some (action removes the choice to pick your own conversation while story makes combat much less important).

What I don't like, is that it's the end of the story. In the middle of the demo, when you jump into the normandy, fly away and look down, there's that sad music which made me feel bad like whenever some movie you're engulfed in ends forever.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 20 Mar 2012, 07:41

Finished the game on Sunday. Apparently I'm supposed to do multiplayer as well to get the "best" ending though - which kinda sucks - although http://www.oxm.co.uk/39560/want-the-bes ... readiness/ suggests otherwise. Anyway, I basically did *all* possible sidequests and had a char transferred from ME2 (which had previously been transferred from ME1) and still only got the "third best" ending of them all...

Anyway, was hooked until right at the end, although there were clearly a few bits of Padding occasionally. On the plus side, there was also something Completely Different (Mission to Geth server).

Erai
Raven
Character name:

Post by Erai » 20 Mar 2012, 13:29

Ive played all ME 3 to. And I dont like any of the endings:P And I did all the side missions to and so on. But I still loved the game. It is a good game=)
“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity” ~ Albert Einstein

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 23 Mar 2012, 07:56

Erai wrote:Ive played all ME 3 to. And I dont like any of the endings:P And I did all the side missions to and so on. But I still loved the game. It is a good game=)
** Light Spoilers ahead **

Yeah, I didn't like the ending really that much either. It the same deal as with Deus Ex 3: You get the Ending-Tron 5000, instead of the consequences of your actions affecting the ending (fine, there's the readiness rating, but that's really just a statistic).

Also, where the hell is the epilogue telling us what happened to the rest of the party after the adventure. You got one even in Baldur's Gate II...

(And I also don't like the fact that you cannot truly Take A Third Option).

Erai
Raven
Character name:

Post by Erai » 23 Mar 2012, 12:38

Zarhan wrote:
Erai wrote:Ive played all ME 3 to. And I dont like any of the endings:P And I did all the side missions to and so on. But I still loved the game. It is a good game=)
** Light Spoilers ahead **

Yeah, I didn't like the ending really that much either. It the same deal as with Deus Ex 3: You get the Ending-Tron 5000, instead of the consequences of your actions affecting the ending (fine, there's the readiness rating, but that's really just a statistic).

Also, where the hell is the epilogue telling us what happened to the rest of the party after the adventure. You got one even in Baldur's Gate II...

(And I also don't like the fact that you cannot truly Take A Third Option).
I wonder if they are gonna change the ending. Bioware have been talking about it anyways:P
“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity” ~ Albert Einstein

dyron
Hatchling
Character name:

Post by dyron » 26 Mar 2012, 01:52

Yeh did read about the changing to on gamespot i think.

Glavinius
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Glavinius » 26 Mar 2012, 18:55

I just beat the game, i understand now why ppl are so pissed :C

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 26 Mar 2012, 20:34

Glavinius wrote:I just beat the game, i understand now why ppl are so pissed :C
Glavinius 1 - Game 0?

Zeatrix
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Zeatrix » 27 Apr 2012, 15:57

=== HEAVY SPOILERS AHEAD ===

I dislike and despise the ending(s) to a great extend, but I don't disagree with Bioware's decision of Shepard's fate. Mass Effect is one of the most original and well made trilogies ever made. If Shepard survived it would be a disgrace to the power of the Reapers and their eternal threat. Shepard is just a human, what makes him the hero is that this human evolves into a symbol, something that can only be destroyed at the last extinguished mind and heart, but he is nevertheless still just a human. I'm aware he can survive, in theory, all you see is just a breath. I'm also aware of the enormous amount of conspiracy theories around, like this wasn't the actual ending, and it was made like this so you could buy the intended ending as DLC. It's also being discussed if Shepard is indoctrinated at the final hour, with convincing (but yet not very realistic) evidence.

The greatest disappointment was the inevitable destruction of the Mass Relays, cutting galactic civilizations from each other entirely. While I say I think it's fine Shepard dies, it's not because I dislike optimistic endings. I have no idea why Joker decided to fly away from the blast with the Normandy, but the entire legacy of Shepard, like his crew members and the Normandy, crashes on an unknown world, and they're too few to create a civilization. With the Mass Relays gone and Normandy crashed, they're basically stuck on nothing with no chance to create a future; it's almost like a parody of Jacob's loyalty mission in ME2 with his father. That is one of the most pessimistic endings I've seen in a long time when you think back at ME1 where it all started. Everything you have worked for and accomplished through the trilogy like love, romance, relationships, politics, diplomacy, knowledge, hope, faith and so on, gets reduced to nothingness with the endings. The entire story of Mass Effect is crushed, and we're shot back to before all this took place, now just with a lot of ruins and dead bodies, and some alien races with no chance to get back to their homes and too few to establish a civilization of their own.

I didn't expect (nor hoped) the ending would be a simple gun-fight with the Reapers, ending in a victory with minimal cost and few casualties, but neither did I expect the ending to be so devastating to one of the richest stories ever made. There is so much opportunity for an intimate ending that touches your feelings very deep, as a neural line that reaches back to when you stood on the Normandy for the first time, or felt the effect of the first true social programmed interaction with an NPC in a game. Instead they decide to utterly wreck the blissful experience so many gamers had, and send your achievements, legacy and accomplishments, and their very own work and game into something that seem like it may never even have happened, like a dream. Bioware should be ashamed, they lost a lot of good reputation with this one.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Re: Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers Alert)

Post by Alikh » 28 Apr 2012, 23:17

I think the ending is quite comparable to deus ex human revolution. I wasn't annoyed as much by the ending.
I haven't bothered to replay the whole endgame again to see the other endings yet though and have only seen the cyber + human ending.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 29 Apr 2012, 16:30

Love this:

Zeatrix
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Zeatrix » 29 Apr 2012, 23:28

Zarhan wrote:Love this:

Hehe, reminds me a lot about myself when I discovered the ending(s).
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

Xanthi
(Xanthin)
Ancient
Character name: Xanthin

Post by Xanthi » 02 May 2012, 15:18

And just to add a pinch of fridge horror to the ending, what happens to the huge armada that gets stranded with no real means to leave due to destruction of mass relay network and orbiting a planet that pretty much has no chance of supporting life.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 04 May 2012, 16:52

I thought that with the "control" ending the Mass relay network is only damaged, not destroyed - so, as a matter of fact, it's pretty much the "best" option IMHO :)

Zeatrix
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Zeatrix » 04 May 2012, 17:33

Zarhan wrote:I thought that with the "control" ending the Mass relay network is only damaged, not destroyed - so, as a matter of fact, it's pretty much the "best" option IMHO :)
Yeah I heard that too, and Mass Effect Wiki even says it as well, but after having looked closely and comparing the endings, the Mass Relays seem to blow up completely identical to each chosen ending. Controlling the Reapers does serve the potential for the brightest future for life though =)

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 05 May 2012, 13:49

Xanthi wrote:And just to add a pinch of fridge horror to the ending, what happens to the huge armada that gets stranded with no real means to leave due to destruction of mass relay network and orbiting a planet that pretty much has no chance of supporting life.
Doesn't matter, as long as Joker and his new girlfriend are ok :P.

Is there any faster way to see the other endings btw, instead of doing the whole illusive man base again and the whole of earth?

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 May 2012, 21:52

Alikh wrote: Is there any faster way to see the other endings btw, instead of doing the whole illusive man base again and the whole of earth?
I was able to restore from a quicksave I made at the last london base where you say your farewells. After that it's only the one last big fight (launching those missiles).

But yeah, the agonizing slow-motion onboard Citadel takes forever, and then you have to even be ready for the quick time events...waiting for the damn DLC first.