The Legend Of Drizzt book series

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Varadin
Raven
Character name:

The Legend Of Drizzt book series

Post by Varadin » 03 Apr 2011, 13:49

I have recently started readong this series of books i had read the icewind dale trilogy and had heard that they were books 4,5 and 6 of the legend of drizzt series so i went out and bought the rest. i started 'Homeland' (Book 1) on friday night and have just finished it, i recommend to anyone who likes the Forgotten Realms setting to pick up these books as they are really good.
May the force be with you.

Souvraya
Raven
Character name:

Re: The Legend Of Drizzt book series

Post by Souvraya » 03 Apr 2011, 15:29

You've got one hell of a good read in front of you. I've read almost the entire series, with the exception of the three last books published and the last book of the Sellswords series. Very well written indeed. I hope you'll enjoy the series as much as I did and do. ^^

Varadin
Raven
Character name:

Post by Varadin » 03 Apr 2011, 18:36

Yeah i really enjoyed the icewind dale trilogy and homeland and cannot wait to finish exile, and i have heard the sellsword series is really good following that of Entreri rather than Drizzt.

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 03 Apr 2011, 22:13

I also own pretty much all of them except the one that focuses entirely on Wulfgar's exploits after Passage to Dawn. They made a very good impression when I was in high school and I still enjoy them a lot, although they focus a lot on combat. Luckily, there is still lots of ponderings and depth (I kinda like what comes of Catti-Brie's and Drizzt's story in the end). Homeland is still excellent.

Yes, elitists hate how some of the D&D stuff creeps in there and shows in storytelling, and furthermore, how switching from AD&D to D&D 3rd edition to D&D 4th edition has been weaved into things rather transparently, but I never let that bother me. Even though Homeland contains the phrase "Faceless one had been a high-level wizard" :)

Varadin
Raven
Character name:

Post by Varadin » 07 Apr 2011, 19:54

Finished Exile last night and have now begun Sojurn. :mrgreen:

Malekai
Raven
Character name:

Post by Malekai » 15 Sep 2011, 13:48

For those of you who enjoy this series I recommend the Dragonlance chronicles.
Also very well written D&D like party. It's not written like that but you can really tell
the hero's start as low level peasants who are not hero's at all. As they grow they
doubt their own herolike ness, but trough some luck perseverance and skill they
become heroes. Very nice series.

Xanthi
(Xanthin)
Ancient
Character name: Xanthin

Post by Xanthi » 18 Sep 2011, 05:52

Malekai wrote:For those of you who enjoy this series I recommend the Dragonlance chronicles.
Also very well written D&D like party. It's not written like that but you can really tell
the hero's start as low level peasants who are not hero's at all. As they grow they
doubt their own herolike ness, but trough some luck perseverance and skill they
become heroes. Very nice series.
I actually like Dragonlance more due to fact it doesn't really have that kind heroes, they are just people who happen to generally get mixed up in good/bad stuff but at the end of the day (in most of them) they are just still human... Somehow also the gods seem to be in the Dragonlance more human than generally. There are just moments that I have basically rooted for the "Evil" guy of that book due to something he/she/it (from now on HSI) did just because HSI wanted to be happy or something, rather than HSI just did it cause HSI was evil.
All the characters seem to be basically flawed in the Dragonlance series, which just makes me the more interested of reading what happens to them or what they do.
Actually Elmnister (I think it was that) is actually quite nice book series also, if you don't know them and you have read the Drizzt books, then I advice to check around on the Forgotten Realms books in general.

For Dragonlance though I have to admit, I can't really recall what books should one start from but I presume there is some suggestions for it at least online.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 21 Sep 2011, 00:08

Starting DL is easy: Dragons of autumn twilight and the rest of chronicles, followed by legends.

Bastille
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Bastille » 21 Sep 2011, 07:44

As other fantasy books, check out the "Death gate cycle" from the same authors as the Dragonlance series.
Also the trilogies from Robin Hobb: The Farseer trilogy and The Tawny Man trilogy are worth to read.

Souvraya
Raven
Character name:

Post by Souvraya » 22 Sep 2011, 17:21

I would like to suggest reading something by Brandon Sanderson; Elantris, Mistborn or The Stormlight Saga (The Way of Kings is the only one out yet, but it's SO worth the read).

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 22 Sep 2011, 17:57

Oh, I guess everyone is already familiar with Game of Thrones due to the HBO's excellent TV series... :)

Malekai
Raven
Character name:

Post by Malekai » 02 Oct 2011, 16:54

Yes but I heard the game of thrones tv series is not as good as the books. Saw the first episode and it's beautiful on HDTV though :P.
Just finished book 3 of Drizzt prequel....now gotta wait for the next 3 books damn bol.com delivery time!

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 02 Oct 2011, 22:02

Malekai wrote:Yes but I heard the game of thrones tv series is not as good as the books.
That can be applied to almost any book, but GoT is a *very* good adaptation...Episode 8 is even written by George R.R. Martin himself.