G T eyyyyyy 4

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

G T eyyyyyy 4

Post by Jaera » 03 Dec 2008, 12:30

just bought it off steam and downloading. 3% at 60k/s for some reason. ill be here all week!

doesnt support SLI yet though,which sucks.

anyone else partaking?

Rhaena
Ancient
Character name: Rhaena

Re: G T eyyyyyy 4

Post by Rhaena » 03 Dec 2008, 12:36

With L4D, CoD5 and FarCry2 I'm left with no time to play GTA4. I might pick it up some day.

Plus Tomb Raider: Underworld, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3 are all ahead of GTA4 in the next thing to play list.
You no take candle!

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 03 Dec 2008, 12:38

whats this mirrors edge thing?

Rhaena
Ancient
Character name: Rhaena

Post by Rhaena » 03 Dec 2008, 12:56

Mirror's Edge

It's a first-person free-running game. Basically leaping across rooftops while people try to shoot you. PC version isn't released for a couple of months yet, but the console version is.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1TJP1cxmo
You no take candle!

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 03 Dec 2008, 12:59

hmm, looks interesting. but not my cup 'o tea

edit: 17% been doanloading for 4 hours. *SIIGHH* big game :)

Cortex
Raven
Character name:

Gaming and sleepless nights...

Post by Cortex » 04 Dec 2008, 16:37

Wow is again taxing my sleep routines... but not only wow, since now i bought GTA IV aswell. I wonder when do i learn to game less and sleep more? :shock:

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Re: Gaming and sleepless nights...

Post by Zarhan » 04 Dec 2008, 16:59

I got a GTA IV too...haven't tried it yet, I've heard rumors that it has ridicilous DRM (you have to make TWO accounts, Rockstar Club and Windows Live), and what's further...the DRM portion (Win Live) doesn't even work with 64-bit Windows!

I haven't yet verified this but I guess it's time to grab the crack off Piratebay again to make the darn game I've paid for work..

Cortex
Raven
Character name:

Post by Cortex » 04 Dec 2008, 17:20

Gasp, and i have a 64bit Vista.

http://www.gamecopyworld.com is a friend whenever you need a NOCD -patch. Its always been clean and nice to me. (tho GTA IV patch aint there yet)

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 04 Dec 2008, 17:47

dont listen to retards who just cant get things working. its working on my 64 bit too. merged threads.

shame the game runs really badly though, its a poorly performing port. unless you have an i7 CPU.

I'm running twin 280 gtxes and get like 32fps on the bench with max everything at 1920x1200. but sli isnt supported yet, and the cpu is the bottleneck on this game apparantly.

AND you dont need a rockstar club account unless you want to do the multiplayer thing. AND you dont need a live account unless you want achievements saved.

really zar, dont listen to the whiners, unless they are moaning about the performance, then listen :)

Cortex
Raven
Character name:

Post by Cortex » 04 Dec 2008, 23:53

GTA IV installation got me really @£$@£$@ mad. First autorun opens a splash screen, which is in chinese or something. So i close it and have to install it manually. Then it says i need to install the Rockstar social club aswell, since it wont run without it. After that, it does numerous checks on the inet, that its a legal copy and my comodo firewall bleeds when it start numerous programs just to see to it. After that it tries to get me sign up to live and the social club before i can play. Well, i wont sign to those, but i still have to have the social club thingy installed on my computer. Then i try to start the game, and it tells me i need to download and update my live - even if im not going to use that either!

What the hell happened to:

1) install
2) play

???

Cortex
Raven
Character name:

Post by Cortex » 05 Dec 2008, 00:18

And now it tells me i cannot EVEN SAVE THE GAME without logging in.

Im 2 minutes of showing the game somewhere behind rockstar.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 00:21

I've read that to get best install experience, yank your network cable out before trying to install and do manual activation. And also use MS Live in offline mode and you can use savegames.

Haven't gotten my copy yet so can't test these theorems.

Anyway, I'll definitely block any of those components from accessing Internet in my firewall.

If it's too much of a hassle I'll just return the pile to Play and get the "install, play"-type pirated version.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 00:56

erm, yeah great pirating things is goood........ not.

anyway its an annoying game, what cpu do you guys have? because as its a console port it has most of the load on the cpu and not the gpu. which is a consolish thing as they have better cpus than gpus.

running badly for me. same performance as people with 8800 cards. which is a joke

buuut i watched a bit of the ingame TV and its really great, ricky gervais :D

Thuren
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Thuren » 05 Dec 2008, 08:07

Cortex wrote:(Rant removed for TLDR-reasons)

What the hell happened to:

1) install
2) play
Curiously, that's exactly what I did on my system. Except for part 1). I put the disc into my Xbox 360, went to get a glass of ginger ale, and started playing.

Seriously though, I've been a PC man my entire life but GTA IV (and to some extent Fallout 3) was immensely playable on the console. The only problem for games like these (strategy games notwithstanding) is that aiming is not as precise as it is with a mouse. I'm usually very much against assisted aim (we called that cheating in my shooter days) but in GTA's bangbang you're dead setup the target lock system actually doesn't bother me.

I heartily recommend the 360 version.
ImageImage

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient
Character name: Anasazi
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Shaman

Post by Pyx » 05 Dec 2008, 09:31

And I can recommend the PS3 version :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 11:00

Looks like it's not just us. http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 05/0840238

And no, I'm not getting X360 or PS3 for a single game.

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient
Character name: Anasazi
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Shaman

Post by Pyx » 05 Dec 2008, 11:15

Your loss, I'll just enjoy hasslefree gaming and highdef movies myself :wink:
ImageImage

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 11:24

As said:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4555595 ... NFO-0_0008

So the steps are now

1) Install
2) Get torrent from tpb
3) Play

2-step process converted to 3-step is still acceptable to me. No activation or other crap.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 11:32

Piracy is a pathetic excuse for not being able to make it run. grrrrr GOD these DRM moaners drive me crazy!! its ONE activation, get over it or dont play the game. dont be a dirty thief!

and do me a favour console people. your old outdated hardware is so behind the pc curve now. enjoy your 'hasslefree' blurry horrible low fps GTAIV rendererd at like 1000x700. i tried it on the PS3 fyi and it was a mess, i literally couldnt play it, eww.

pc + 360 controller = better in EVERY way than the consoles :P

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 11:37

Jaera wrote:Piracy is a pathetic excuse for not being able to make it run. grrrrr GOD these DRM moaners drive me crazy!! its ONE activation, get over it or dont play the game. dont be a dirty thief!
I paid €34,99 NOT to be treated like a thief.

Guess they don't want my money.

It's NOT the activation. It's having to create accounts to Live and Rockstar Clubs. I don't want or need those for a single-player game. And it's having to apparently keep the DVD in drive during playing (screw you, that's the reason I've gotten cracks for all my games that I've bought and paid for already). Heh, in the case of Civilization III, higher resolutions started working WITH the crack. In case of GTA San Andreas, I couldn't get the game to run due to my DVD drive not working with securom...had to get the crack.

DRM is a disease.