left 4 dead

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Re: left 4 dead

Post by Zarhan » 25 Apr 2010, 19:46

I just placed order in Play.com for L4D2 - will probably arrive "soon". So if others are interested in this I'm up for playing (sporadically, mostly on weekends).

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 26 Apr 2010, 01:07

You mean the 35 euro version? (http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1028825 ... oduct.html)
You can buy it on steam until monday for 20 euros and get it instantly via download. I'm not sure what the delivery time is for Finland, but here it takes about a week for play.com items. If it's not posted yet, you might still cancel it and get the cheaper steam version. After monday, it'll be 30 euros, still cheaper than play.com.

Anyway, I'd be up for it sporadically.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 26 Apr 2010, 07:38

Yes, but I want physical box that doesn't vanish if Steam goes belly-up a decade from now and takes all my games with it. So yes, I'll pay that extra 15 euros.

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 26 Apr 2010, 10:32

with steam only games. the physical box is just a key code and the data which NEEDS steam to install. which needs you to be logged in.

i.e. if steam was down you couldnt use it anyway even with a box

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 26 Apr 2010, 13:43

True. As soon as you fire up the install, you have to connect to steam to complete it.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 26 Apr 2010, 17:24

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 26 Apr 2010, 17:26

you can do that with the steam version anyway. not like its going to go off overnight

you big pirate :P

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 26 Apr 2010, 18:18

Jaera wrote:you can do that with the steam version anyway. not like its going to go off overnight
Not overnight, but who knows what happens 10 years from now.

I *still* play even Quest for Glory series every now and then (especially with FreeSCI), and that was first released in 1990 - that's twenty years ago!

Last vestiges of Sierra were swept away in 2008. Now, if QFG (or Larry, or Space Quests) were in some sort of Sierra-DRM, they would be gone now. No more annual QFG marathons for me.

Yes, I know: Valve has stated that if they ever go under, they'll release an update to Steam that will make all games free of DRM. However, it's stated nowhere in their EULAs or any other binding documents, so I consider it empty promise until they put such an update on an escrow somewhere.

Anyway, I do NOT want to lose Portal or Half-life 2, so I have the boxed version. I can always find a crack for them and play without Steam if necessary.

But ok, this turned into a rant about DRM in general. I'm still up for playing :)

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 26 Apr 2010, 18:23

hmm, well you may want to poke celsan or bumbler on steam, they seem to play it a lot. i wont post their ids here as its public but if you dont have them already im sure cel can give you them.

re steam: they have said that they will release patches to all your games if they ever do go down. i guess if that actually happens is anyones guess. oh and i noticed you just said that too. disregard ;)

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 26 Apr 2010, 18:42

Did you still get the 'I'd be up for it sporadically' bit? :P

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 26 Apr 2010, 18:44

also theres a guy who plays sporadically... i forget the name though :( alikrizzila or something

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 27 Apr 2010, 21:01

My SID is Bunda, Bumblers is Drainbadger from memory I think. We usually play versus, which is laugh-out-loud funny if you play it with the right attitude (ie "who cares about winning, I'm just in it for the devious takedowns"). We switch between L4d1 and 2 as well, each are good in their own special ways but the original is just incredibly well balanced on its own.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 07 May 2010, 16:10

Got the game now, id is zarhan42.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 07 May 2010, 16:33

Maybe we can do it sometime this weekend or so. Maybe saturday after dinner?

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 07 May 2010, 19:45

Chances are my brother and his gf are going to be here Saturday night. Good news is they are both mad-keen on L4D1&2. Bad news is I messed up my back quite badly last week and I'm still not recovered, so I probably shouldn't sit in a chair for too long.

Anyway, if we're all online and you are about, lets have a session by all means - although if there's more than 4 it will mean versus mode. That's fine for me as it's my favourite anyway, but the rest of you may find it a little hard-going if you haven't had much practice at it (spend the time getting to know it....it is hilarious fun).

Basic tips for versus:

- Use height wherever possible to your best advantage
- Use tactical points like cars with alarms and witches by spawning near so the team set them off trying to kill you
- The hunter is a weak option to have if there's not much else going on when you spawn as him. Rush in, die, wait to respawn as something else
- The smoker takes time to get the best out of but can be very very useful in the right places
- If you get the tank, put the team down on the ground until they stay down (put one down until he doesn't get up then move on to the next) - don't try to fully kill a team member as it just takes too long while the others kill you. If you put all of the team on the ground it's level-over for them.
- The boomer. Soooooo much fun. Exploding in range of the team does the same job but it's far better if you can extract and come back for more later.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 07 May 2010, 19:48

then go on the l4d forums and be called a noob for all eternity from the horrible community! :P

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 07 May 2010, 20:42

Ok - see you tomorrow then :)

Do we use builtin voice or e.g. Skype (or TRC's Vent?)

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 07 May 2010, 20:49

Probably just text chat I expect....although I can probably rig up the headset if you want. I'd just be concerned about the bandwidth on my connection here. I know we managed a 10 man raid on it before but thats not quite so ping sensitive (and there will be 3 of us here on the connection).

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 07 May 2010, 20:56

it has built in voice zar. just bind the ptt button and you are set.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 08 May 2010, 09:42

Can we agree on time?-) I remember(possibly wrong) that in Khila-speak, "dinner" is at 18:00 CET. But can we agree all to be online at 19:00 then?