Fallout 3

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Fallout 3

Post by Alikh » 29 Oct 2008, 15:25

I got fallout 3 together with far cry 2, but I still have to try far cry 2 :P.

Fallout 3 looks promising. It starts off nice with the prologue which you spend inside the vault 101. You start off as a 1 yo baby running after your father e.g.

It is pretty similar to how oblivion starts out. You can play a bit with what paths you choose (like your gender and look and any skills you wanna start out with), and when you finally leave the vault you can still change everything at the door (like at the sewer exit in oblivion).

The graphics are quite good and the characters look better than in oblivion. The dialogue can be quite long though, so if you're not into detailed backgrounds, you might get bored at least in the start. You can always choose a violent path of ignoring everyone, blowing them up etc. E.g., the little town close to the vault, called Megaton, has a nuclear bomb which has never really been defused. One of the side quests you get involves actually blowing up the town by arming the bomb. Or you can help the town and defuse it. Doing the first saves on a lot of dialogue at least :P.

You can see fallout 3 as a post-apocalyptic oblivion with similar size of the world I think.

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Re: Fallout 3

Post by Zarhan » 29 Oct 2008, 15:31

I also heard that Bethsheda's normal flaw - that is, scaling of enemies - is gone. So enemies toughness is actually static - stick your nose in the wrong place at start and it gets blown away, and on the other hand you can at the endgame sweep the old neighborhoods with ease.

As an old fan of Fallout 1&2, I was hoping for best and fearing for worst :)

Anyway...FC2, GTAIV, F3, and WotLK...end-of-year gaming looks pretty solid.

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 29 Oct 2008, 20:24

So does it suck?

Just want to know, if i should continue downloading my torrent or go and buy it...
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 30 Oct 2008, 00:53

It doesn't suck yet at least, although I'm not very far in yet.

Rezag
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Rezag » 30 Oct 2008, 09:27

Should get myself to test Fallout3 today or tomorrow I hope it lives after greatness of 1&2 loved those :)

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 30 Oct 2008, 09:41

Mind you though, if you are a fallout 1/2 lover and not an oblivion lover, you might not like it as much. It is very much like oblivion with guns. It is however, better than oblivion in just about every aspect.

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 30 Oct 2008, 10:28

Kolos wrote:Mind you though, if you are a fallout 1/2 lover and not an oblivion lover, you might not like it as much. It is very much like oblivion with guns. It is however, better than oblivion in just about every aspect.
I guess that's a good reason not to by it. :D

Meh, i kinda hoped for a Fallout game not a new version of Oblivion...

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 30 Oct 2008, 10:38

If you don't like oblivion that is. I think morrowind/oblivion were among the best games made.
There's a lot of detail in fallout 3, just like in oblivion, which you don't get in the fallout 1/2 series.

And maybe, even if you didn't like oblivion due to something like how you get skills by doing something often, it is different in fallout 3, where you just spend experience and skill points wherever you like, just like fallout 1/2.

And even the fallout tactics like real-time + turn based targeting (VATS) is in there. You can spend action points while using VATS to target specific parts of an enemy. Most of the time you'll be aiming for a headshot kill though :P.

Thuren
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Thuren » 30 Oct 2008, 10:47

Are you playing PC or 360? I've been a PC man my entire life, but I played GTA IV on the 360 and it was nowhere near as awkward as I thought it would be. Oblivion worked reasonably well on 360, so I'm wondering if I should try Fallout on 360 as well. Then again, PC is more modable.
ImageImage

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 30 Oct 2008, 11:07

And i am still saying. It seems it will be Fallout only in name. I don't mean to sound like a whining kid, but it just doesen't seem to be Fallout. That's it.

And imo, VATS isn't turn based combat in any way. And who the hell came up with that name? And those Nuke Catapults? Oh, please...

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 30 Oct 2008, 11:34

Elhaz wrote:And i am still saying. It seems it will be Fallout only in name. I don't mean to sound like a whining kid, but it just doesen't seem to be Fallout. That's it.

And imo, VATS isn't turn based combat in any way. And who the hell came up with that name? And those Nuke Catapults? Oh, please...
You sir, are a whining kid. :P VATS stands for Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, so apparently Vault-Tec came up with that name.
VATS isn't turn-based per se, because the enemy doesn't get a turn during VATS. However, it is EXACTLY the same as one turn, where you expend action points on actions until you don't have any left. After your action points are spent, the enemy can do stuff again (i.e. his turn again). So saying it isn't turn based combat in any way is not giving it full credit. People argue that fallout tactics is the anti-christ too for letting go of complete turn-based combat.

Fbasdhfjk (name blurred on purpose) 3 is a great game in itself not deserving of criticism that it doesn't do everything exactly the same as some other game. It still is the fallout world, just another way of looking at it (in glorious 3d). If you want to persist in playing turn-based 2d games, I suggest the great site gog.com, where you can buy games like jagged alliance, which are great games for its time.

I myself loved fallout and fallout 2 and also played fallout tactics. I think I'll love this new game as well.

What's with nuke catapults by the way?

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 30 Oct 2008, 11:35

Thuren wrote:Are you playing PC or 360? I've been a PC man my entire life, but I played GTA IV on the 360 and it was nowhere near as awkward as I thought it would be. Oblivion worked reasonably well on 360, so I'm wondering if I should try Fallout on 360 as well. Then again, PC is more modable.
I heard that VATS is very cumbersome on a 360 controller, since you can't just select a body part with a mouse.
And you'll probably be using VATS a lot.

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 30 Oct 2008, 12:14

Kolos wrote: You sir, are a whining kid. :P VATS stands for Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, so apparently Vault-Tec came up with that name.
VATS isn't turn-based per se, because the enemy doesn't get a turn during VATS. However, it is EXACTLY the same as one turn, where you expend action points on actions until you don't have any left. After your action points are spent, the enemy can do stuff again (i.e. his turn again). So saying it isn't turn based combat in any way is not giving it full credit. People argue that fallout tactics is the anti-christ too for letting go of complete turn-based combat.

Fbasdhfjk (name blurred on purpose) 3 is a great game in itself not deserving of criticism that it doesn't do everything exactly the same as some other game. It still is the fallout world, just another way of looking at it (in glorious 3d). If you want to persist in playing turn-based 2d games, I suggest the great site gog.com, where you can buy games like jagged alliance, which are great games for its time.

I myself loved fallout and fallout 2 and also played fallout tactics. I think I'll love this new game as well.

What's with nuke catapults by the way?
IIRC Vault-Tec did only vaults not any sort of military equipment. If you'll ask me Bethesda should have kept the basic gameplay and IMPROVE it not to change it to some FPS with stats! I don't see any problem to keep same point of view as older Fallouts had, but use 3d and turn based and/or real time combat. And Fallout tictacs(intended) didn't let go of turn-based combat. It still had TB and in addition had loads of improvements to the combat, but the problem was that the story wasn't that good, and it was just and only about combat. But, because it was spin-off it didn't matter that much.

And there haven't been any good reason why to change the core gameplay that much?

And what's with them nuke catapults? Fallouts were quite anti nuclear war right? Now we have some damned nukes for everyone to use!

I don't say that i won't enjoy playing it. But, so far I wouldn't call it a Fallout game.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 30 Oct 2008, 12:27

It all depends which part of the game you call Fallout. If you say 'it's the setting and world that's important' which is not such a strange proposition for a story-telling RPG, then it IS very much a fallout game. If you say, I'm all in for the user interface and the combat system, then one could simply make another game (whole different setting) with that system and somehow it's not fallout but somehow it is?

For me, the setting, the atmosphere, the background etc. are what make this game. And for me, fallout consisted mostly of the perks, the skill system and the humor and characters. Turn-based? Sure, it's a nice way of putting it in front of the user and it makes it look like a chess game.

For warcraft, there's also the RTS and the MMORPG, which can't be compared on a user interface basis, but both are very much warcraft!

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 30 Oct 2008, 12:29

yes but world of warcraft wasnt called warcraft 4 :P

Rezag
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Rezag » 30 Oct 2008, 12:30

Elhaz wrote:And what's with them nuke catapults? Fallouts were quite anti nuclear war right? Now we have some damned nukes for everyone to use!
Plasmarifle for the win of please they are in pretty please? blast -> pool of goo :D

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 30 Oct 2008, 12:32

Jaera wrote:yes but world of warcraft wasnt called warcraft 4 :P
Indeed!

I wouldn't really care if it wouldn't be called as a Fallout 3! They have changes so much and so far it seems some of them haven't been in right direction. IMO!

And ofcourse setting etc. mean lot's for me, but so do gameplay.

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 30 Oct 2008, 13:09

Well...Fallout 1 was really a sequel to Wasteland and Fountain of Dreams :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_(computer_game)
Last edited by Zarhan on 30 Oct 2008, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 30 Oct 2008, 13:49

Oh my god, they didn't call it Wasteland 2!

Anyway, WoW was an online version of warcraft and it was not about building stuff, but rather playing the little characters in the warcraft world, so it was only logical to name it 'world of' warcraft, because well, you don't do the same stuff as in the warcraft games.

Similarly, if fallout 3 would've been about some strategy game where you manage the world of fallout or something, maybe they could've called it 'world of fallout'.
Or, if some mmorpg of fallout comes out, call it 'fallout online'?

The gist of the fallout games hasn't changed though. You play a vault dweller that goes into the wide apocalyptic world, gets a dog (and maybe a car) and has adventures. The game is the same! The main character is the same (although not the same person), the system is even the same (gurps-like). The engine looks different (wow it's threedee!). That's it.

Go ahead, don't like it that there's not a 2d fallout 3, but to say that simply because of that, you would pirate the game rather than buy it, is a bit much. I buy the games that I think are masterpieces on its own (no matter its legacy).

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 30 Oct 2008, 14:01

i am looking forward to trying it, will get it on steam.