Driver's license

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Re: Driver's license

Post by Zarhan » 31 Oct 2008, 11:18

Kolos wrote: Do you need to have any form of identification at all? In NL, it is by law required that you can identify yourself at all times (although I've never had to yet).
Yes, I know this story, it was pretty publicized around. That law came only a few years ago I think, and after some police officers decided to be asshats and started enforcing it at new year party...I remember this anecdote about some old lady pulled an ID "Yes, I have this ID. It was given to me by legitimate government ages ago.."

..and had David's star and "JOOD" in it...

Actually, quick googling found at least one reference, http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid ... d=12811142

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 31 Oct 2008, 11:44

Jaera wrote:gunpoint and tasered for 10 minutes? thatll be america then :P they need to have theirs.

no we dont, if we get pulled over we have a certain number of days to go into a local police station and gief them ID licence insurance etc
Yep, american vids. Ofcourse, with a car, they have the licence plate already, so it's hardly the same as someone committing a violation and the police having no way to confirm someone's identity.

Kalitari
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Kalitari » 31 Oct 2008, 12:48

In Finland there is no law requiring a person to have ID on him/her so Police can't do anything based on lack of ID alone. However, many places require ID for other reasons (like using credit card) so I'd say almost 100% of population carry drivers lisence or other ID around at all times.

There is one marked difference... If you don't speak any finnish I'd recommend having legitimate ID on since the immigration law allows detaining people for 48 hours straight if there is any doubt about the nationality and legal status of a foreigner. Its not like police stops random foreign looking people, but if you get stopped by some other reason spending several hours in lock-up when you could have avoided it by just having ID on you is no fun.