What is your deifinition of "honorable PvP"?

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Pelagia Alynis
Dark Raven
Character name:

What is your deifinition of "honorable PvP"?

Post by Pelagia Alynis » 06 Jun 2006, 20:15

Being pretty undecided on the matter I'd like to hear others' opinions about PvP tactics. What is fair and what is not fair?

Personally, I have nothing against ganking while one is fighting a mob (or recovering from one). Killing someone when he is running away from angry mobs chasing him (despite the hp or mana) is something I really hate though.

Killing someone 8 or more levels below you is just plain dishonorable, with the few exceptions:

1. the victim attacked/offensive emoted you first
2. the victim didn't go away after you clearly showed him that you want him to stop farming in the same area as you
3. the victim was in your faction-controlled area or in your outpost in contested area
4. the victim was attacking a friendly NPC or attacking a friendly PC with same difference in lvls/ganked the friendly PC

Killing someone when you are roughly equal level and it's 3:1 for you or more is abominale. 2:1 can be beaten by good tactics and isn't really something to be frowned upon.

Killing someone more than twice in a day (unless he attacks you first, wanting revenge) isn't any better and is usually a disgusting show of "power".

Sneak-killing an enemy PC that is inside his outpost or killing any enemy PC that is AFK is the worst possible case of dishonorable playing that I know of.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you stalk and gank someone fighting 1 mob in the wilderness? If there's already a thread like this point me to it instead, ofc. :arrow:
"There is no good or evil. There is only more and less."
- Khorn'Tal, the Stormlord

Collective RP thread - have a look at it and join!

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 06 Jun 2006, 23:00

Sneak-killing an enemy PC that is inside his outpost or killing any enemy PC that is AFK is the worst possible case of dishonorable playing that I know of.
What do you think however of walking around in thunder bluff, seeing a 60 mage surrounded by guards and then proceeding to kill him (with the help of Zoltan), being swarmed by a lot of guards while the mage does the ice block and then managing to kill him and even getting away? (well, Zoltan didn't, but he'll live next time :P)
We were both warlocks and had a good time running around in the wild west. ;)

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 06 Jun 2006, 23:07

About the pvp morals, I almost never kill until attacked. If I happen to want to kill a particular horde but he's in combat with a monster, I set my pet on his target, wait until he's pretty much full health, then attack him.

When I group with someone and I'm significantly higher level and he attacks someone of his own level or lower, I stay out of the fight. I hate it when some horde with his high-level friend come out to play and then both kill me (as if his friend wasn't enough by himself already).

I never attack horde (unless attacked) that are 2 or more levels below me.

I do like to hunt horde that are invading our homeland though, no matter how low or high they are. But that's also partly RP :P.

Pelagia Alynis
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Pelagia Alynis » 07 Jun 2006, 10:34

I have this trick of "stalking" enemies, using shadowmeld+pet prowl to follow someone. Basically whenever the target isn't looking, I unstealth, move a bit closer or behind cover and stealth again. When I attain enough distance (45 yards or so) I wait for the target to either come into my ranged (at which point it gets aimed shot) or attacks someone (at which point I attack when the monster is nearly dead, presuming the target isn't on low hp).

I killed a troll hunter much above my level yesterday using this tactic, then done my business in the area and shadowmelded again. When he came back I had no intention of killing him again. However, he was bent on revenge and somehow managed to guess where I was to Flare the area - of course, this offensive signal meant he only got aimed shot again, else I'd have left him :(

Definitely the most disgusting case of PvP was in Blasted Lands, where two lvl 60 rogues ambushed me (51) while fighting a lvl 53 monster. Well, both got freezed (one trap I lay at my feet earlier and one I did FD+trap) but it wasn't enough to escape. If only one of them ambushed me (he would have won, mind you) I'd have simply shrugged and said "oh well, rogues ambush every day, who cares", but because there were 2 I felt really inflamed.
Then I respawned, went inside nethergarde keep near the gryffon platform and had to go AFK for about 5 minutes (and set myself as AFK). When I came back I was dead - those two lvl 60 rogues sneaked into Nethergarde, killed me while I was AFK and then vanished to avoid the guards.... :roll:
"There is no good or evil. There is only more and less."
- Khorn'Tal, the Stormlord

Collective RP thread - have a look at it and join!

Grim
Character name:

Post by Grim » 21 Jun 2006, 16:30

Tough question, this.

Not having the ganking mindset that many players do have, I find it almost impossible to kill anyone unprovoked.

What I hate however, is:

A. being killed while on low health
B. being attacked while fighting mobs, usually including A.
C. being attacked while in an area where we are all supposed to be fighting a common enemy. The Plaguelands is a good example of that. I know it's a PvP server and I realise the risks that come with playing on a PvP server, but from an RP standpoint (and DB is an RPPvP server after all) I just cannot understand this.